10, 1808 - Mr. Robert Ralston, a prominent merchant and philanthropist in Philadelphia
writes a letter to his friend Josiah Roberts of Britain telling of his desire to start a Bible Society in America.
- 1812 - The Bible Society, now
know as the Bible Society at Philadelphia to distinguish it from other like groups in Connecticut, Massachusetts and elsewhere;
publishes the first Bible printed in the U.S. from Stereotype plates, a less expensive printing process. Ultimately
17, 375 Bibles and New Testaments will be produced from these plates. Click here to view pictures of this 1812 Bible.
- 1853 - The Pennsylvania Bible Society acquires lot of land at 701 Walnut Street, Philadelphia from Hannah Sansom, and
constructs the Bible House. The Bible House continues to be a distribution center for scriptures to this day.
Prior to acquiring this property, the Society had offices located on Chestnut Street between 6th and 7th street where the
Public Ledger building stands today.
- 1908 - The Pennsylvania Bible Society praises God on the 100th Anniversary of its founding.
- 1910 - The Pennsylvania Bible Society joins their
efforts with the American Bible Society to create the Atlantic Agency, distributing Scripture in the Mid-Atlantic Region.
- 1958 - Marked 150 years
that the Pennsylvania Bible Society has been in the service of the Bible cause.
- 1982 - The Pennsylvania Bible Society in cooperation with other religious
bodies prepares a commemorative booklet to honor the Tercentenary of William Penn's arrival in Philadelphia. The popular
"Light for All People" scripture is distributed throughout Pennsylvania, one million copies in all, within a one
year period, free to all.
- The Pennsylvania Bible Society marks its 175th anniversary year and praises the Lord for
all His mercies, particularly in allowing the Society to serve Him in the distribution of Holy Scripture.
- 1987 - The Pennsylvania Bible Society hosts an
exhibit entitled "The Bible and the Delegates," celebrating the bicentennial of the Constitution of the United States.
On exhibit were many bibles or facsimilies thereof owned by the founding fathers.
- 1995 - Separated from ABS to better serve the Scripture needs in the
state and surrounding communities.
- 2006 - Dedicated
the year 2007 for actively reading the Bible in preparation for the Bicentennial celebration in 2008.
- December 12, 2008 - The Bible Society celebrated
200 years of Scripture distribution with a bicentennial celebration at The Down Town Club in Philadelphia, PA. Included
with the celebration was a history display room where we had very rare Bibles on display along with history of the Bible translation
and of the PA Bible Society.